WESTMINSTER, Colo. (Dec. 5, 2012) – Heading into the first significant cold-snap of the winter, Lake Arbor Automotive & Truck today is advising customers and car owners everywhere to take special precautions that will keep them on the road – safely and warmly. Here are 10 winter-weather driving tips from the Westminster-based repair-and-maintenance shop.
Prior to driving:
• Don’t wash your car in conditions of ongoing, freezing weather because the locks, doors and windows might freeze overnight.
• Plug in your block heater if you have one.
• Allow a brief amount of warm-up time for the car.
• Make sure your cell phone works.
• Use a key fob to unlock the car. If a lock is frozen, use a hair dryer.
• Clear the cowl grate at the outside bottom of your windshield.
• Do not use cruise control, because tires might continue to spin faster than a car headed uphill, thus reducing traction and control.
• Carry a blanket and a few energy bars in the car, in case you get stuck in a remote place with no chance for immediate help.
• If you drove your car on wet roads and if the temperatures are due to plummet, do not set the emergency brake overnight. Your brake cable will likely freeze and you will not be able to release your brake in the morning.
• Lift windshield wipers off the windshield during long periods of inactivity.
And at some point, it might be a good idea to ask a qualified auto mechanic to inspect your vehicle for cold-weather worthiness.
If you have questions about the best way to manage your car in the cold and snowy weather, call 303-429-7700.
About Lake Arbor Automotive & Truck
Founded in 1992 as the Emissions Clinic, Lake Arbor Auto moved in 2006 to its current location at 9146 Marshall Place in Westminster, Colo., with a state-of-the-art facility designed for maximum customer comfort. Over a three-year period (2009-2012), Lake Arbor Auto won the following significant awards recognizing its commitment to business ethics: Bill Daniels Ethics in Business Award from the Colorado Ethics in Business Alliance, Better Business Bureau’s Torch Award for Marketplace Trust, Golden Ethics Award, Denver Metro Chamber Small Business of the Year (Finalist), Metro North Chamber’s Fred Factor Award and Small Businessman of the Year Award; and the Champion of Free Enterprise award from Sales Professionals International. A multiple recipient of the BBB’s Gold Star Award, Lake Arbor Auto was highlighted by Examiner.com as a “Best Local Company to Work For” in 2012. Lake Arbor Auto is a Triple-A approved repair shop and has the ASE Blue Seal of Excellence with five ASE-certified Master Technicians on staff. Lake Arbor Auto is an ASA (Automotive Service Association) national and state member, is the highest volume emissions repair facility in Colorado, and is a member of the Association of Diesel Specialists. For information call 303-429-7700 or go to www.lakearborauto.com. “We do the right thing for you every time.”